Saturday 11 January 2014

Raymond Queneau - Exercises in Style


Front Cover

During the tutors talk, I became inspired by a couple of artists who work with narrative. One of them is a poet, novelist, editor


Raymond Queneau (1903-79) whose book Exercises in Style I read today. 



The book retells a same story 99 times employing a variety of styles, which I found really interesting. What a talent to do this, what a great idea! The story itself is not any special, it is actually very casual and simple; A crowded bus, narrator observes one rude man, when a seat becomes vacated a man takes it, later in another part of town the same man is seen again with his friend. Raymond Queneau represents very unexpected ways of HOW can a story be told, for example:

LOGICAL ANALYSIS

Bus.
Platform.
Bus platform. That's the place.
Midday.
About.
About midday. That's the time.
Pasengers.
Quarrel.
A passangers' quarell. That's the action.
Young man.
Hat. Long thin neck.......

or

COMEDY

ACT ONE

Scene 1

On the back platform on an S bus, one day, round about twelve noon. 
THE CONDUCTOR: Fares pliz. (Some passengers hand him their fares.)

ACT TWO...

And so it continues, form the style of Notation, to Synthesis, Couplets, Sonnets etc. Each style provides a different mood, atmosphere, meaning even understanding. I believe it is educational and entertaining at the same time, which appeals wide audiences. I thought I could try to do something similar, I love writing and it may be a great beginning for my project!

No comments:

Post a Comment